SOPA and PIPA represent two anti-piracy bills in the United States House of Representatives and the United States Senate respectively. While these bills may have good intentions, but they are harming the core principles of the Internet: freedom and innovation. The Electronic Frontier Foundation has a good explanation of how the bills violate the freedom of speech that serves as the foundation of the Internet.
We suggest US-based visitors to contact your Representative or Senator, and its International customers to donate to organizations like EFF, to ensure that broad opposition to this proposed legislation rings loud and clear. Many prominent Internet companies participating in the protest are listed here: SOPAstrike.comMore information about SOPA/PIPA
- S.968 – PROTECT IP Act at OpenCongress.org
- H.R.3261 – Stop Online Piracy Act at OpenCongress.org
- Take Action Checklist
- Fight for the Future
- A video explaining PIPA
- A technical examination of SOPA/PIPA
Blackout in the news
Blog and other media:
- Consumerist explains that these bills are far from dead.
- Mashable: SOPA Will Take Us Back to the Dark Ages and Why SOPA is Dangerous